Mats Sundin should be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
By Mats Sundin
I’ve been blessed with a long career, unforgettable teammates, stellar coaches and the best fans in the world. Each opportunity to step out on the ice was a chance to live out a dream and I’d like to thank all of those people who made it possible.
I feel incredibly humbled to be mentioned in the same sentence as the greats that have already been inducted into the hall. While I may be a bit of a longshot to be enshrined in the hall, I figure it won’t hurt to toot my own horn, as it were.
While I’ve never had the privilege to raise the Stanley Cup my career speaks for itself;
- Averaged a point per game in the regular season
- Multiple international accolades including an Olympic Gold Medal in 2006
- 2 trips to the Conference Finals
- Longest serving European captain
- Played in 8 All-Star Games
- 82 postseason points
- Over 500 goals scored
Either way, it’s been a pleasure, I’m not going to be disappointed if an invitation doesn’t come but a Swede can dream can’t he?
Wicked, you’ll have to let me in as well then.
By Daniel Alfredsson
Hey there friends. I am also a balding Swedish captain with a respectable, if not exactly stellar career.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I deserve to make it into the hall but with all the support Mats has been getting, it’s hard to tell anymore. Let’s run the numbers while I boil some herring okay?
I haven’t been playing as long as Mats but our numbers are eerily similar
- I also average a point per game
- Played on Tre Kronor since 1995 and also got the Gold
- 2 Trips to the Conference Finals (1 of which we won … not that it turned out very well)
- Mats was captain for 11 seasons, I’m going into my 10th
- 6 All-Star Appearances but I’m a shoe in now with Heatley gone
- 80 postseason points
- He’s got me shellacked in goals but I’ll likely finish with more assists.
Now I’ll be the first to admit, if admission to the hall was beating Ottawa in the postseason, Mats would be first in line …. well maybe Gary Roberts first …. then Nieuwendyk …. sigh, such sad times … where was I?
Ah it doesn’t matter, the herring is almost ready, but remember a vote for Mats is a vote for Alfie, I appreciate the support.
About the Author: Al Rankin writes vicariously through others. You probably shouldn't trust what he says, although it's cool to lend him money, he's totally good for it. @Al_Rankin on Twitter